Michelle Buckley

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Chatting with RawSistaz

I LOOOVE CHATS.

Good thing because next Tuesday, on November 29th (9pm EST), I'll be chatting online about my baby, "Bulletproof Soul" with the RawSistaz Literary Group (http://rawsistaz.com/chat.html). A BIG THANKS to site owner, Tee C. Royal for agreeing to the chat.

While I know some writers aren't overly crazy about interacting with readers and other writers, I am thrilled every time I get a chance to hear what readers think. Whether it's specifically about my book or about the publishing industry and books in general, I enjoy hearing about what's on readers minds. And I always enjoy inspiring other would-be-authors.

I thank God that my writing makes it okay for me and others to feel the things we feel. And while the characters I write about aren't always based on me and my life (it's called fiction for a reason, ya'll!) -- I do use my characters as a way of working through personal issues, questions, fears and concerns.

In the past, because of my writing, people have thanked me for saying things they couldn’t express. That’s what motivates me. I want people to be able to pick up something I’ve written and see their own souls; their own stories mirrored on the page. And through my stories I hope I can provide readers with a little hope, a little inspiration and a whole lot of perspective.

I learned fast that folks can get soooo passionate about your work -- believe me -- to the point of arguing you down about your characters' intentions and they can even read things into your characters that are CLEARLY NOT ON THE PAGE! :-)

Case in point...I met with a local book club recently and one of the members INSISTED that two of my characters slept together throughout the book on the regular, when it's CLEARLY written that they only slept together twice. To say the discussion was INTERESTING is an understatment.

But I love that interaction with readers...to be passionate is to care...and to think...and to feel! And what's not to love about that?

When I originally sat down to write Bulletproof Soul, I wanted to tell an entertaining story that celebrated women and our strength and resiliency. Women go through so much in life and it’s amazing to me how so many of us are not destroyed by the things that happen to us. I wanted to honor that strength of spirit in my book and I just feel blessed that people have responded so positively to that message, and to my writing in general!

SO BRING ON THE ONLINE CHATS AND BOOK DISCUSIONS!

If you can, check out my online chat this coming Tuesday. I'd love to have you be a part of it. Just click the following link: http://rawsistaz.com/chat.html. Then click the Enter My Chat Room/Live Chat link at the top right on page (see the coffee cup).
10 Comments:
Blogger CydneyR said...

Hey Michelle,
I agree that readers see things in your book that weren't intended. And it's really amazing when more than one person makes the same observation. And it's something that totally flies past you, the writer. LOL. Scaryyyyyyyyy!

3:58 PM, November 24, 2005  
Blogger Rose said...

I'll try to be there because I have never attended a chat like that before. It should be interesting. I can't imagine why writers would not want to be around or talk to the folks they want to buy and enjoy their work. I keep hearing this...it is hard to believe...

12:56 AM, November 26, 2005  
Blogger Brea said...

I hope the chat goes well!!

12:27 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

Cydney, sounds like you know what I'm talking about!!! :-) How RU by the way girl? I'm waiting for your next book!

Rose, hope 2CU there tonight. I'm like you, as a writer, I don't understand not wanting to talk to readers.

Thanks for the encouragement Brea. Still feeling the hat, girl. Makes me want to go on vacation. It snowed here in the midwest yesterday. I need to go somewhere where folkz are wearing sombreros.

5:32 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Rose said...

Oh I am so sorry that I missed this. I was at a reception for my organization. Do they save chat conversations someone to review later?

1:37 AM, November 30, 2005  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Hey Michelle,
Finished "Bulletproof Souls" and really, really enjoyed it! ***For those who haven't read it don't read further**** I love the ending that she chooses to go to LA despite Sebastian's urges to start anew. And how she realizes that "almost" isn't good enough. Such a great message for women or any person, for that matter. There were moments of sheer laughter too. I think it was so wonderful and your family must be proud of you.

~Deb

9:33 AM, November 30, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

Rose -- unfortunately once the chat is completed it's gone! I was looking for ya! Hope your reception went well.

Dr. Serani -- I am soooo happy you enjoyed my book. I had just a few goals that I wanted to accomplish when starting the book. The number one goal was to finish it (LOL) Also, I wanted to write something that had some fun, light moments. And I also wanted to have an ending that said to women (and really anyone)-- it's okay if you end up alone -- without the man, especially if you know in your heart he is really not the right one for you. At the end of the day though, we're all ultimately looking for what you have -- 20 years of wedded bliss. Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and support with this book.

Now it's your turn! :-)

12:39 PM, December 01, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:40 PM, December 01, 2005  
Blogger princessdominique said...

I have to keep remembering to stop by...

6:06 PM, December 10, 2005  
Blogger McKenna Jeffries said...

I really like "writing is the fingerprint of her soul on paper", I printed it so I can keep it and remember it. Sorry I missed the chat maybe I'll catch the next one.

McKenna

3:53 PM, December 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home