Michelle Buckley

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Tyra Banks & Body Image


Give a girl a talk show and she loses her mind.

I think Tyra Banks is as cute as a bug's ear, but WTF?

In September, Tyra had a sonogram on her show to prove that her breasts are real. RU kidding me? Despite a bajillion rumors, whether her twins are real or not is no one's business and to use medical technology to prove something that is obvious is just doggone crazy! The new tv season started in September, right? I guess, the more outlandish the shows the better...cuz afterall it's about the ratings ya'll...

But the body image madness doesn't stop there...

Coming up on the Nov. 18 segment of her show, Tyra will help others pursue "a beautiful booty."



(AP photo)

She will reveal her own "dimpled butt" and receive an endermologie treatment on the set. OKAY -- I can't even type that sentence without laughing. No one in their right mind should KNOWINGLY reveal their "dimpled butt" -- EVER, I MEAN EVER, on national tv! Let alone have treatments on it for the world to see. But, call me crazy -- I do find peace in knowing she HAS a "dimpled butt" -- is that a nice way of saying -- she has cellulite like you wouldn't believe?

For real educational body image tv, check out Tyra's show on Monday, November 8th. She's going to illuminate a sensitive body image issue that affects nearly half the people in this country -- obesity. According to AP radio, Tyra will go undercover as a 350-pound woman to see what it's like to walk around obese. Said 31-year old Tyra, "It seemed like the last form of open discrimination that's OK, and I decided to put on a 350-pound suit myself and live that life for a day and see what happens."

Banks said she was shocked at the reaction. "I started walking down the street and within 10 seconds, a trio of people looked me right in my eye and started pointing and laughing in my face," the talk-show host said. "I had no idea it was that blatant."

Wow, are we truly that insensitive in this country? Our nation's unrealistic nymphet-as-the-norm obsession has resulted in an increase in eating disorders and a rise in poor body image acceptance. Research shows at one time or another, at least 75% of Americans have been on some kind of diet. Studies indicate 59% of men and 51% of women are overweight and even more troubling, 20% of men and 25% of women are considered obese.

Yep, Monday's show should really be an interesting, heart-breaking, eye-opening look at our society. If you tune in...give me a shout.

Okay, so....if YOU had a talk show, what body image issue would you tackle? What insensitive body issue comments have people made to you or others you know? What medical test or treatment would you perform on yourself? Who knows, Tyra just may see this and use your idea!

For the most part, I respect Tyra. She is an America's Next Top Model tv-hosting, cat-walking, vogue-posing, Victoria's Secret-modeling enigma who is notorious for "keeping it real". She does a lot to boost self-confidence in women and she draws positive attention to women and body issues. Yet she works in an industry that does a lot to undermine women and healthy body image. But I guess if you want to effect change it's good to be tackling the problem as an "insider." GOD BLESS TYRA, I love her -- and her "dimpled" a&^!
11 Comments:
Blogger Rose said...

She's special. She shows people her real hair length without weave and let folks know that the beauty we see took hours...I like her....just being real...showbiz didn't seem to jade her. Some folks get a little success and let it go to their big heads. You can easily be brought down.....

9:46 PM, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

I respect Tyra but I don't watch the show. She gets a little too Dr. Phil sometimes, LOL. I have seen women strutting on the stage though and doing things they wouldn't normally do. At least she helps women with confidence. I don't know how long the show will last, they call it the next Oprah. Hey, no one is the next Oprah but I wish Tyra's show well anyway. Some of us writers had a chance to be on the show for a make-over. I don't know if the other women writers did it or not but I didn't. I don't need a make-over. I look good anyway! LOL!

11:28 PM, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

Rose - Tyra can be real alright. Showing the length of her pre-weave hair? That's a little too real! (hee) You gotta love her.
Thanks for visiting.

Stacy - Her show is definitely a breath of fresh air. I like her approach to been-there, done-that topics. I also like that she tries to instill in particularly young women a sense of self-confidence and that she works to boost their self esteem.

The next Oprah, huh? Remember when she used to be on Oprah regularly? I guess things come full circle. Girl, you right! You don't need no makeover! You're looking d@*& good! Thanks for stopping by.

9:49 AM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tyra's interesting. I find I waiver between wanting to hug her, and wanting to just shake her.I understand her wanting to undo some of the slef-image damage that modeling has done.

But, she always seems to do everything in a self-obsessed way. Couldn't she have just take a normal person's photo, and shown how it's retouched to make the model look flawless.

Heavy sigh. But she is cute.

12:56 AM, November 05, 2005  
Blogger ~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

Not much a tv-watcher here...but thanx for sharing about that. She does seem "real" though, and I gotta admit I like that about her. As far as women's body images go, I think we should all ourselves our beautiful we are every day because God made us that way no matter how big or small we are. :)

1:32 PM, November 05, 2005  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Too funny! I agree, what goes on when people get a talk show. It's like their brain wiring goes on the fritz.

~Deb

6:57 PM, November 06, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

sabledawn-there are a lot of people i know that one second I want to hug and the next second I want to strangle. They sure don't need talk shows (hee).

elsie -- you're right -- there is something beautiful to be found in every woman. Just wish everyone would realize that.

Dr. Serani -- maybe that's why a lot of them don't stay on the air too long! :-) Oprah, being the exception.

Blaqwriter -- you're write! They broke the mold with Ms. O! I ain't hatin' and I ain't taking nothing away from T., she's definitely got it going on, but I ain't gonna front. It's nice when you find out the celebs are human like the rest of us (dimpled a&$es and all)!

There aint nothing cute about portraying thin and petite women that look like 12 year old boys as the norm for sexy & alluring. A lot of women have gone into tailspins (anorexia/bulemia, etc)trying to replicate this unhealthy standard of beauty. BW -- the one size fits all mentality is alive and well. Don't know if you've seen it -- but Dove is at least trying to do something different. They are doing an ad series that celebrates women of all colors, shapes and sizes! Sad to say this is revolutionary in this day and time. If you ain't buying Dove products, you should be! (Dove, hit me offline so I can tell you where to send my check!)

12:01 PM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

I watched Tyra's show once for about 1 minute. I was the only one in the room and I just started screaming and left the room.

8:46 PM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger OptyMyst said...

LOL michelle, you make me want to write dove and tell them to pay you right now!

i don't watch many "girly" shows, but am painfully aware of body image among young people (three daughters, two sons). anything that may help them all to understand that it actually takes WORK to look like tyra will help a great deal, as mine are all too lazy to do what is required.

i can see it now... they will love themselves as never before, because it's just too much work to be beautiful. hehe.

4:50 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger CydneyR said...

Hi Michelle,
I don't get to watch Tyra's show because I'm at work when it airs (and I don't do that TiVo stuff). But I would have loved to check out the episode where Tyra confronts Naomi Campbell.

12:57 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

Don Juan -- don't lie, I bet that's how you always exit a room. :-)

Optymyst -- if you get Dove to pay me, I'll split the check with ya.

Sylence -- I know you've been silenced. I look forward to your next persona.

Hey Cydney -- for a summary of Tyra and Naomi's cat-fight, check out the link below. It's nice to see after 15 years, these 2 strong sistahs could set aside their differences. It also goes to show that no matter how much success we obtain, stuff that happened 15 years ago can still impact folks. Tyra needed to let that ish go long before now. Betta late than never.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3469057

6:06 PM, December 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home