Michelle Buckley

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Do You See What I See?

May He enlighten the eyes of your mind so that you can see what hope His call holds for you.
— Ephesians 1:18 (NIV)

I literally see the face of Jesus, every day. I carry it on Kodak paper in my wallet…no really. Let me explain.

Near my home, I found a pattern in a wood fence (see left) that to me CLEARLY looks like the face of Jesus -- head bent and praying. Every morning when I walked past the fence, it would give me a sense of peace. It was a beautiful sight to me. This was my way of greeting the day, by truly looking in the face of our Saviour. No one could tell me that the J-Man wasn’t with me daily.

So convinced was I of what I was seeing that I had to pull out my camera and take a picture. Not only did I take ONE picture, but I took SEVERAL pictures. I had to get a shot of Jesus from every angle. (That’s my daddy’s ‘must photograph everything to death’ side of me coming out (LOL - love ya, daddy!)) Anyway, I carry one of the pictures with me in my wallet. I look at it every day, especially during those difficult times when I need to feel comforted and be reminded that the Father and Son are always with me.

Now this is the weird(er) part -- when I saw a crew tearing down the fence, I actually asked them if I could have that particular part of the fence. This piece of fence was the equivalent to my “burning bush” (keep your minds outha gutta). The crew entertained me, (surely convinced I had escaped the nearby mental facility) and said they would leave the wood on my doorstep. But, they DIDN’T leave the wood for me -- which is probably a good thing -- what the heck was I gonna do with a rotting 2x4????

One day I actually took the picture with me to work and shared it with co-workers, convinced that everyone would CLEARLY see what I saw. I outlined the history of the photograph, as I’ve done here, to my co-workers and then asked them if they could see what I was talking about.

To put it kindly, let’s just say -- they didn’t. And when one person in particular said he instead saw a SQUIRREL WITH A NUT, my mouth dropped to the floor. A squirrel with a nut? Heck, he was the nut! I couldn’t believe it! How could they not see what I saw?

The day-long Jesus/Squirrel debate at work was some ish that gave me a headache and just about made me lose it -- but it was an important reminder! It just goes to show that reality is a matter of perception and how we each perceive the same stimulus in the world is truly SUBJECTIVE and dependent on our individualistic thoughts, experiences, and beliefs. Some of us have a more intuitive, abstract way of looking at things -- and beyond this photo -- that can be related to how we deal with problems and look at life. Some people don't necessarily see with just their eyes, but instead with every fiber of their beings -- including their hearts and emotions. For others, the way they see, perceive and react to things is very pragmatic and logical. Everything is black and white, open and shut -- almost scientific and definitely without a connection to feelings or the heart. And dare I say it?? I believe more women fall in the first category versus the latter.

I say all of this to remind you…that as we deal with the hustle and bustle of the holiday season -- make sure to keep your mind's eye open to the fact that miracles happen everday and we all need to embrace the unexplainable and enjoy subjective beauty wherever we find it. May we all see more with our hearts this season.

Happy Holidays!
9 Comments:
Blogger Brea said...

Sorry, I don't see Jesus either. But that picture means something to you and that is all that matters. And you are right, our perceptions are what make us unique.

12:28 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

Brea -- LOL, you disappoint me. Just tell me you don't see the squirrel either and you're still all right in my book!

You're right, the picture does matter to me and that is all that counts. Our perceptions are what make us -- US -- and we should embrace differences in perception versus stay clear of them when we see them in others, which I feel is what so many of us do.

Happy holidays, girlie. Be blessed, pretty. :-)

12:34 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

The funny thing is that I can see the image that you are talking about. I saw it instantly. I like the idea of wood being an image than a grilled cheese sandwich. That's just crazy! Nice blog. I'm going to have to check on your book.

12:39 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

very funny, and an interesting twist. Many people see subjectivity as somehow less real...and you see it as more so to you.

Something to think about.

12:58 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks SB -- I knew I wasn't crazy. AND for the record, Bulletproof Soul is available in bookstores everywhere and on amazon.com! (Commercial over):-)

FT -- I'm not saying subjectivity means it's more real. I'm just saying we need to realize our subjective nature may come into play more often than we realize when it comes to our perceptions. And it is that subjectivity that makes us all unique and we should embrace it in everyone; not be so quick to judge it or thumb our noses at it. Regardless of whether we perceive/see things with more of an objective or a subjective slant -- it is as real as can be to perceiver. The face of Jesus was as real to me as the Squirrel was to my co-worker. In either case, no judgements should be made regarding which is more real or not; which is right versus which is wrong.

5:15 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I can see it!!!

9:38 AM, December 16, 2005  
Blogger Rose said...

Michelle- I see two things. I see a man praying but he has on a hat. I also see a man with his eyes open staring. Wow....I should be completing your book this weekend and will let you know my thoughts...Have a Merry Christmas.....

1:50 AM, December 18, 2005  
Blogger Michelle said...

Dr. Serani - I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Rose -- can't wait to see what you think about the book.

Urbane -- you're right!

4:53 PM, December 20, 2005  
Blogger Rain said...

I do see Jesus. Wow. I have a photo with a ring in the sky. I need to find and post to see what others see. Thanks for visiting me today.

8:43 PM, December 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home