Michelle Buckley

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Urban Books Starts New Christian Fiction line

Note: My book, Bulletproof Soul was published by Urban Books, so I am
a part of the Urban Books family. Under best-selling author, Carl Weber,
this is a growing black-owned company that supports and encourages up
and coming African American writers. As a writer, I want to share what
I know about the publishing industry with others. So, if you have a desire
to be a published author -- see below-- this may be the opportunity for you...
Good luck!

Urban Books presents its new Christian Fiction imprint, Urban Christian. Urban Books is the only African American publishing company to have a distribution deal with a major publishing house.

With over 50 authors published under Urban Books (street meets drama) and its newest imprint, Urban Soul (women's fiction), Urban Books is now adding Christian fiction to its repertoire.

Through this divine journey of moving stories, Urban Christian is the voice that will take the Urban Books readers to another level, the spiritual side of the craft. If you have a manuscript that falls under this specific genre (Please, no poetry) and are interested in Urban Christian reviewing it for consideration of publication, please adhere to the following guidelines:

1) Please submit a one-page synopsis of the novel and the first four chapters only of your manuscript. Submissions should by typed (no handwritten submissions) and double-spaced using a size 12 font. Each page should be numbered and contain the author's name as well as the title. Do not email submissions.

2) The cover page should contain the author's name, address, phone number, email address and the title of the submission.

3) Please include a self-addressed postage paid envelope of which the full submission may be returned to you in if need be, otherwise, submissions Urban Christian does not wish to consider for publication will be destroyed.

4) Please allow three to six months from the date of submission to be informed whether or not we wish to review and consider the full manuscript. If interested, the full manuscript will be requested. The full manuscript should range from 80,000 to 100,000 words but should not be submitted in full unless requested. If your manuscript is selected for publication, you will be required to send the entire manuscript via hard copy as well as email.

Please do not make query phone calls or emails regarding the status of your submission. That is why it is important you enclose a self-addressed postage paid envelope so that we may notify you of our decision.

Mail submissions to the following: ATTN: Submissions, P.O. Box 298238, Columbus, OH 43229.
6 Comments:
Blogger Rose said...

Thanks Michelle:
The only christian book I have is being promoted now (A hole in my Heart). The other is in my head. But I do have several women fiction manuscript ready. Maybe I'll try that. Is that the same address for fiction? Also, I thought Zane had a major distribution. Thanks for the info...

10:25 PM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

What a generous post this is...to help writers learn and trust a valued publishing company.

8:22 AM, February 03, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Rose -- the address for Urban Soul and Urban Books is different from this one for Urban Christian. Check out their website for addresses for the other lines. My manuscript was actually submitted to them through an agent. Not sure if that's "required" for the UB & US lines or not.

Thanks Dr. Deb for the support! Folks have helped me along my journey and I'm determined to help others. Be blessed...

9:27 AM, February 03, 2006  
Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Wow what a coincidence! Mickey I have Urban in mind for one of my Latino stories. Another author pal of mine told me Carl was opening an imprint for Latino books. I also would work with them with my anthology if they wanted it. I emailed Urban through their regular email address but I couldn't find submission guidelines. I am waiting to hear back from the email. Please email me if there is something I should know about contacting them. Also, if you have a better email address than the one on the site then I would appreciate it. I only saw the basic one and I am not sure if that was the one meant for authors or just customers.

11:27 PM, February 04, 2006  
Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

I forgot to let you know that tomorrow is my birthday!

11:27 PM, February 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new book, the "Trippin" cover definitely caught my eye and I can't wait to read it.

Keep up the great work Michelle.

JEFF RIVERA (author of the urban Latino novel, "Forever My Lady" by Warner Books http://www.ForeverMyLady.com

5:26 AM, September 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home