Michelle Buckley

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, April 07, 2006

American Inventor


ABC’s AMERICAN INVENTOR: This is the best, most inspiring show on tv. It’s an exciting series from Simon Cowell and the producers of American Idol and it’s about the biggest search ever for America’s best new invention.

Ten thousand inventors who auditioned in seven cities will be whittled down to 12 who are given $50,000 to develop their ideas. Ultimately the winner gets $1 million with four judges deciding their fates.

I saw it for the first time last night and enjoyed it. (This was actually the 4th general audition show). I think I liked the show so much because I’ve always fancied myself to be an inventor. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always thought that I’m one simple idea away from being a multi-billionaire (can you say Art Fry, inventor of the Post It note??? --- ARGH!)

I ain’t gonna lie, some of the people on the show were just ridiculous and were literally laughed out of the room by the judges. But, for every five bad inventions, there was one truly good one! A lot of the people that auditioned were really inspiring when you heard the stories and reasoning behind their ideas (even those with bad inventions had great stories behind them)!

The inventors are proof that one person or great idea can truly make a difference in the world. They were soooo passionate about their ideas and many had given up everything to see their ideas through to fruition. Many of them had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on their ideas. Some had watched their marriages dissolve. Others had sold everything they owned and they had nothing left but their inventions.

Perhaps the most touching person that auditioned (or the most crazy, I’m not sure) – is the man who gave up his kidney so that good karma would surround his invention efforts. Every other one of his sentences involved him talking about being a role model and hero to his young son (awwww)! He had a great idea, but his invention already exists. (There’s something to be said about doing your homework, eh???)

Have you ever had the kind of passion they possessed for anything in your life? That kind of passion can move the Earth. One of the judges said his young daughter always tells him to believe in miracles and that’s truly what these inventors are doing. They are all so dedicated and determined. Their passion was the kind I had during my quest to become an author. There is amazing power in believing wholeheartedly in yourself, your ideas and your convictions. There should be something invented to harness that passion -- actually I guess there already is -- the heart!!!

Anyhoo…if you haven’t watched the show check it out. It’s on ABC on Thursdays @ 8p.

Here’s a recap of my fav inventions that are moving on from the April 6th show:

Invention #1: NY, Italian Joey invents rotating coffee pot/system - dial a cup, rotate system to what you want (tea, coffee, soup). He got the idea when he saw a guy get shot, so it’s like a revolver. Brilliant, plus Joey has personality plus!

Invention #2: Denver, Mother Joan invents a character building buddy. Kids stuff teddy bear with character traits like love and kindness as parents read about traits from an accompanying book. Awwww….

Invention #3: SF, Janusz lost his daughter in a car accident and his motivation is to create an invention to spare other parents the heartbreak that he went through. It’s a car seat that’s a little bubble, so if there is a car impact the kid/baby rotates – it’s a better car seat for kids. Wonderful idea, will be an engineering challenge. His commitment was vert touching.

Okay -- if you've seen this show -- what were your favorite inventions? Your least favorite.? I think one of the most practical that didn't make it on to the next level was the man that invented a toilet air cleaner that doesn't just mask BM odors, but literally takes the stink out of them. He gives new meaning to the phrase 'my sh*t don't stink!' Hee!~

Here’s your chance to be an inventor...if someone handed you $50K to invent something what would it be?
8 Comments:
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

Everytime somebody invents something simple I say to myself, why didn't I think of that? Hello Ms. Buckley. :)

9:51 AM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

SB -- I know (LOL)! Glue on small paper -- call it a Post It Note. In the words of Florida Evans -- damn, damn, damn!!!! I'm gonna come up with my simple million dollar invention, you just wait!

11:41 AM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

LOL! That's funny about the post its. :)

3:00 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Rose said...

I HAVE TO WATCH THAT. I WATCHED TARA BANKS AND SHE HAD THESE MILLIONAIRES ON HER SHOW AND I SWEAR I THOUGHT OF THAT STUFF AND TRIED THE STOCKING THING CALLED SPANTKS. YOU TAKE YOUR STOCKINGS AND CUT THE FOOT OFF TO HIDE PANTY LINES IN PANTS AND WHITE SHIRTS. BUT OH COURSE YOU WANT NON-STOCKING FEET. SHE MADE 85 MILLION THIS YEAR. DAMN-DAMN-DAMN-

11:48 PM, April 16, 2006  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Hey there. Just wanted to say that I ordered your book from Amazon. Can't wait to read it.

~Deb

3:02 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Dr. Deb -- I'm glad you're ahead of the game and preordering! I gotta warn ya though -- it's different from the first book. Can't wait to see what you think about it. All of my characters could use a little time on your psych couch!

6:11 PM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Rose -- I know the Spanks thing... we were sleeping on that one! 85 mill huh? Good grief!

6:14 PM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

Hi! Is the Kansas City address still good for Bulletproof Soul? I want to order it tomorrow. Can you autograph pls, Ms. Buckley? :)

2:40 PM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home