Michelle Buckley

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

NaNoWriMo


If you want to be an author, there's no time like the present!


On November 1, http://www.nanowrimo.org/ will start their annual National Novel Writing Month Write-athon!

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Think it can't be done??? Ha! Think again! Last November 59,000 would-be authors registered through the site!

NaNoWriMo is for everyone who has ever wanted to write a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort it takes. Because of the limited writing time frame, the ONLY thing that matters is output. It's all about quantity, not necessarily quality. This fast-paced approach to writing forces would-be authors to take risks, and write on the fly. By forcing yourself to write so intensely without editing and rewriting yourself to death, you give yourself permission to make mistakes -- to build without tearing down.

For those that sign up for NaNoWritMo, as you spend November writing, keep in mind that your writing doesn't have to be in vain. In past years, several writers had their NaNoWriMo works eventually published as novels by major publishers like Ballentine/Random House, Pinnacle/Penguin and Warner Books.

If that's not inspiration and incentive for a writer -- I don't know what is!

You have three weeks to register, so get ready...get set...start writing!!!!
7 Comments:
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

That's a great challenge and worth trying. What's up Michelle.

10:32 AM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hey SB -- like the hat -- takes me back to another time -- back when cats were COOL without even trying! (Hee) Yeah, the NaNoWriMo write-a-thon will be quite the challenge. I know some folks signing up for it! Don't know if I'll formally sign up, but I do know in November, I'll be writing my behind off, working on book #3!

BTW -- check your Union Station post.

6:14 PM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

Thank you. I wear my hat proud in honor of my grandpa who taught me how to wear a hat and tie my necktie. :)
I'll be visiting him for Xmas in Carolina.

3:32 PM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger K said...

I have to check this out. I remember hearing about it before but I'm always a day late and a dollar short :)

Smooches!

11:26 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

kris -- go for it! If you've always wanted to be a writer, this is a great way to jumpstart that desire.

11:41 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Rose said...

I'm going to participate. If you decide, let's sign up as buddies. My name is rosbeav.

10:14 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Rose -- I doubt I'll do it but I passed your name onto someone -- so be looking for a friend request! Good luck with NaNo!

1:25 PM, October 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home