Michelle Buckley

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, October 02, 2006

RIP Bear


Last Friday, September 29, 2006 -- I was forced to put Bear, my four-legged baby of 12 years, to sleep because of an untreatable liver disease.

In loving Bear, it has always been amazing to me how 2 seperate species could bond so effortlessly and be so close. God truly created Bear for me and me for him -- of that I have no doubt.

Bear was born on 5/29/1994.His dad's name was Cooper's Ruf Jumper and his mom's name, Mick's Dominoe. I always meant to take Bear back to his breeder to see his parents, but we never made it.

In case you can't already tell, Bear was like a human to me -- he was truly my child. I spoiled him rotten from the time I brought him home from the breeder. Before finding Bear, I spent a long time researching exactly what kind of dog I wanted. I wanted a smart dog that didn't shed much who had an easy going manner. Bear was a Lhasa Apso. Originating in Tibet in 800 BC, these dogs were raised by the aristocratic part of the Tibetan society and were used as watchdogs by Tibetan monks in the monasteries. They were very valuable both spiritually and materialistically. To be presented with a Lhasa Apso was to be blessed with good fortune.

I always joked that Bear looked like a wise old Asian man. To me, Bear was a very wise soul. No one could tell me he didn't understand every word I said when I spoke to him. He was easy to house train and had a very loving temperment. He was very protective and never gave me a moment's problem. I'll miss Bear walking beside me everywhere I go, licking away my tears during tough, rough and sad times, jumping for joy and running around like a crazy dog every time I walk through the door and making me laugh just by looking at me with those big, brown, wise eyes.

One thing that was so funny to me was that Bear was a big dog in a little dog's body. He had Napoleon Complex big time (if you don't know what that is, ask any short, overbearing, overly aggressive man you know!) Whenever big dogs would approach us, Bear would have the nerve to growl and bark and really get in attack mode. Mind you the dogs he wanted to "attack" could swallow him (and me) whole.

Another thing that was funny about Bear -- he LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED people food. The occasions of him snatching out of my hand choclate chip cookies and whatever other foods he wanted to claim as his own are too numerous to count. And with that "ummm, that was good" look on his face, who could be mad?

My baby Bear will be terribly missed, but I know our spirits will once again connect. If you have a pet, give them a hug today and while you're at it, hug all your family members and everyone else you come in contact with too! Peace & Blessings...

The following parable helped me get through the toughest times when dealing with my loss. Feel free to share it with others (particularly children) who are struggling with the loss of a beloved pet.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~


Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge


When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone on Earth, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
3 Comments:
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

I am so sorry for your lost. He is such an adorable dog. Yes, they are so human. I really believe that they have souls too. How can something with so much love and personality not? Be blessed, sis.

9:31 AM, October 04, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Bear was full of love and had personality plus. There is no doubt in my mind that he has a soul! Thanks for your kind words Stephen. And your package is in the mail! REALLY!

11:45 AM, October 04, 2006  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

Excited! Thank you! I'll be looking out. I honestly haven't thought about the pkg since last week. Thanks again, Michelle.

8:22 AM, October 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home