Michelle Buckley

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Defining A Good Read

I thought author Gwyneth Bolton's post on what makes a compelling read was excellent -- so I thought I'd link to it. At the Romance Slam Jam in Miami, Gwyneth gave what I imagine was a wonderful and dynamic workshop entitled, "Couldn't Put It Down: What Makes a Compelling Romance Read?" A portion of her workshop description follows:

We have all had the experience of finishing a book and smiling, sufficiently satisfied with money and time well spent. We have also had the experience of finishing a book (or not finishing a book) and wanting to throw the book against the wall. There are certain elements that we can point to in a particularly great book and pretty much all agree on. Things that say to us all, this was a good read! In this workshop we will share some of these as we all try and figure out: what makes a compelling read?

Click here to see what Gwyneth's Romance Slam Jam workshop group came up with as far as compelling read must-haves.

(While you're on Gwyneth's blog -- make sure you congratulate her on all the awards she won at Slam Jam! YOU GO, GWYNETH!)

As I embark on writing my first novella, this is something that as an author I've been giving a lot of thought to. What makes people want to read every book an author writes? What makes people swear off of ever reading another book by a certain author? What makes some authors bestsellers and keeps others in mid-list or even lower territory? Should a good book make you think? Educate you? Allow you to escape the rigors of daily life? Be strictly entertainment? All of the above? None of the above? Does a compelling read differ based on the genre? Should what works for a compelling romance be different for a thriller or a more literary novel?

What are your thoughts? For you, what makes a book a compelling read?
2 Comments:
Blogger Gwyneth Bolton said...

Good questions, Michelle. At the end of the day, I think the answers vary depending on the reader and maybe even their mood at the time. The one constant is probably character and plot though...

When and where will we see this novella you're working on? Details. Details. :-)

And I really love the image you used in this post. You always find the coolest images.

Thanks for mentioning and linking my post.

Gwyneth

1:06 PM, March 29, 2007  
Blogger Bella said...

For me, I love a book that draws me in emotionally...one that makes me feel the heroine's pain, laugh with her, or curse with her. SO I guess I have to connect with her from page one, otherwise, I'm on the outside looking in, which means I stop reading after a couple of chapters.

On a diff note Michelle, nice to meet you. WHere can I find the review of your latest book so I can blog it...need something to blog about. And can I add your blog on mine??

Author Bella

2:35 PM, April 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home