Michelle Buckley

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Quill Awards


The time has come around for the publishing industry's annual prestigous Quill awards. The Quills, a consumers' choice awards program for books, celebrates the best adult and children's books of the year in 19 popular categories, ranging in everything from biography to general fiction to cookbooks and graphic novels.

The Quills were established to:

~^^~Celebrate excellence in writing and publishing
~^^~Recognize and praise the writers & illustrators of wonderful books ~^^~Interest more consumers in acquiring books and reading
~^^~Act as a bellwether for literacy initiatives


Click here to see the list of the 2007 nominees.

A few of these are in my TBR pile at home, including: The Road (as a result of seeing the author recently on Oprah), The Thirteenth Tale (debut novel by an author with a whopper of a publishing success story), A Long Way Gone, and Angels Fall. And for the record To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite classics and Sissy Spacek is one of my favorite actresses (did anyone see her Golden Globe-nominated performance in 1981's Ragedy Man??? That movie was crazy good!!!) Anyway -- Sissy AND Mockingbird -- this combination on audio is a must have!

Have you read any of the books on the Quills' list or are there any in your TBR pile? Vote for your favs starting on September 10th through msnbc.com.
4 Comments:
Blogger Gwyneth Bolton said...

I took a quick look and didn't see any that I've read. I'll have to go back and add a few to my to-be-read list.

Gwyneth

11:01 AM, June 15, 2007  
Blogger Rose said...

Never heard of any of those books...

12:43 AM, June 17, 2007  
Blogger Southern Me~ said...

I read A Long Way Gone, very touching book about children at war.

8:54 AM, June 21, 2007  
Blogger Michelle said...

Gwyneth - you'd probably really like the heart-wrenching, yet ultimately uplifting book, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. It's a memoir about being a child soldier and just trying to survive during the war in Sierra Leone.

Rose -- There's nothing wrong with exposing ourselves to something new!

Phatgurl -- I can't wait to get to it! I've heard and read good things about it! I remember when I bought my copy the bookseller at Borders told me they couldn't keep it on the shelves. I was so happy to learn that people were responding so to Ishmael's harrowing story!

1:43 PM, June 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home